Encyclopedia Britanica Online

I haven't used encyclopedias online before as I have tended to rely on google and teaching children search criteria along with this. This site has potential though, and is safer than using google if you open filters on your web traffic. With my class working on getting to know their way around the olympics and everything that goes with it I was looking for information about China and the vast history the country has experienced. This site was easy to navigate and I managed to find a wealth of information including photos, videos and plain text. Well worth a visit if you haven't been yet..

The other great thing about this site is the children can build up the information they find by saving it as a project. As they find information they can save it to a project website, give the project a name and a password. Children can go back to the project and add more at a later stage.

New Zealand public schools can get on using the
EPIC link from TKI and their digistore passwords. Other schools I'm not so sure, I assume you will need to aquire a licence from the site itself.

Have fun.

Comments